Dubai Supreme Council of Energy issued Directive number 2 for 2020, which includes an update of Green Mobility targets to increase the number of electric and hybrid vehicles in government organisations. According to the new directive, government organisations in Dubai are required to increase the percentage of hybrid and electric vehicles to at least 10% of their overall annual procurement of vehicles until the end of 2024. This percentage will increase to 20% from 2025 to the end of 2029 and 30% from 2030 onwards. This applies to both purchased and leased vehicles.
“In line with the vision and directives of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, to accelerate the shift towards a green economy for Dubai to become the city with the lowest carbon footprint in the world by 2050, the Supreme Council of Energy in Dubai launched the Dubai Green Mobility initiative in 2015 to encourage the use of sustainable transportation, such as hybrid or electric vehicles, to help reduce carbon emissions in the transport sector, which is the second-highest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions in Dubai.
The Council’s new directive to increase the percentage of electric and hybrid vehicles in government organisations will make them role models for other organisations in increasing the use of environmentally-friendly vehicles. This supports the Smart Dubai initiative, which aims to make Dubai the smartest and happiest city in the world; and the Dubai Carbon Abatement Strategy to reduce the emissions in the transport sector,” said HE Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, Vice Chairman of the Supreme Council of Energy in Dubai.
HE Ahmed Buti Al Muhairbi, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Energy in Dubai, said that the new directive builds on Directive number 1 for 2016, which set a target for government organisations to maintain no less than 2% of hybrid and electric vehicles in their overall annual procurement of vehicles from 2016 until 2020, and to reach 10% by 2030.
In light of the success achieved by the Dubai Green Mobility initiative since its launch, as the procurement percentage of hybrid and electric vehicles (EV) reached 8% by the end of 2019, the Supreme Council of Energy in Dubai has raised the percentage to 20% starting from 2025 until the end of 2029, and 30% from 2030 onwards.
DEWA provides more than 240 Green Charger stations across Dubai. Non-commercial EV owners who are registered with the Green Charger initiative can charge their vehicles for free until 31 December 2021. This is exclusive to DEWA’s public charging stations and does not apply to home chargers. Commercially registered users such as government, semi-government, and private organisations are being charged a tariff of 29 fils per kilowatt hour.