The United Arab Emirates
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a federation and sovereign state that was founded on 2 December 1971. The country is made up of seven emirates, namely Abu Dhabi (the capital), Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Qaiwain, Ras al-Khaimah and Fujairah.
The President of the United Arab Emirates is His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. He was elected as UAE’s third president on 14 May 2022 following the death of his brother Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who served as UAE’s second president from November 2004 until he passed away on 13 May 2022.
The federal system of government includes:
- The Supreme Council
- The Cabinet
- Federal National Council
- Federal Judicial Authority
The Supreme Council
The Federal Supreme Council is the highest constitutional authority in the United Arab Emirates. It is also the highest legislative and executive authority that draws up general policies and approves various federal legislations.
Supreme Council Members
- President His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Ruler of Abu Dhabi
- Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Ruler of Sharjah His Highness Dr Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi,
- Ruler of Ra’s al-Khaimah His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi
- Ruler of Fujairah His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi
- Ruler of Umm al-Qaiwain His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Rashid Al Mu’alla
- Ruler of Ajman His Highness Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi
- Crown Prince of Dubai His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah His Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi
- Crown Prince of Ra’s al Khaimah His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi
- Crown Prince of Fujairah His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al Sharqi
- Crown Prince of Umm al-Qaiwain His Highness Sheikh Rashid bin Saud bin Rashid Al Mu’alla
- Crown Prince of Ajman His Highness Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi
- Deputy Ruler of Dubai and Minister of Finance His Highness Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Deputy Ruler of Sharjah His Highness Sheikh Ahmed bin Sultan Al Qasimi
- Deputy Ruler of Sharjah His Highness Sheikh Abdulla bin Salem bin Sultan Al Qasimi
- Deputy Ruler of Fujairah His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Saif Al Sharqi
- Deputy Ruler of Umm al-Qaiwain His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Rashid Al Mu'alla
- Deputy Ruler of Ajman His Highness Sheikh Nasser bin Rashid Al Nuaimi
The Federal Cabinet is the executive authority that manages all internal and foreign affairs of the federation under its constitution and federal laws. The Cabinet is tasked with proposing draft federal laws and forwarding them to the Federal National Council before they are submitted to the President of the Federation to lay before the Supreme Council for ratification as well as preparing the Federation’s draft general annual budget, final accounts, draft decrees and decisions.
Members of the Cabinet
- His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai
- His Highness Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai and Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance of the UAE,
- Lieutenant General His Highness Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan,Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior
- His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan,Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs
- His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan,Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
- His Excellency Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan,Minister of Tolerance and Coexistence
- His Excellency Mohammad bin Abdullah Al Gergawi,Minister of Cabinet Affairs
- His Excellency Abdulrahman bin Mohamed Al Owais, Minister of Health and Prevention, Minister of State for Federal National Council Affairs
- His Excellency Mohamed bin Hadi Al Hussaini,Minister of State for Financial Affairs
- Her Excellency Reem bint Ebrahim Al Hashimy, Minister of State for International Cooperation
- His Excellency Suhail bin Mohammed Al Mazrouei, Minister of Energy and Infrastructure
- His Excellency Dr. Sultan Bin Ahmad Sultan Al Jaber, Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology
- His Excellency Dr. Ahmad Belhoul Al Falasi, Minister of Education
- Her Excellency Sarah Bint Yousif Al Amiri, Minister of State for Public Education and Advanced Technology
- His Excellency Mohammed Bin Ahmad Al Bowardi, Minister of State for Defence Affairs
- Her Excellency Sara Musallam, Minister of State for Early Education
- Her Excellency Noura bint Mohammed Al Kaabi, Minister of Culture and Youth
- Her Excellency Hessa bint Essa Buhumaid, Minister of Community Development
- His Excellency Abdulla bin Touq Al Mari, Minister of Economy
- Her Excellency Mariam bint Mohammed Saeed Hareb Almeheiri, Minister of Climate Change and Environment
- His Excellency Dr. Abdul Rahman bin Abdulmanan Al Awar, Minister of Human Resources and Emiratisation
- His Excellency Abdullah Bin Sultan Bin Awad Al Nuaimi, Minister of Justice
- His Excellency Abdullah Bin Muhair Al Ketbi, Minister of Federal Supreme Council Affairs
- His Excellency Sheikh Shakhbut bin Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister Of State
- Her Excellency Dr. Maitha Bint Salem Al Shamsi, Minister of State
- His Excellency Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, Minister of State for Foreign Trade
- Her Excellency Ohood bint Khalfan Al Roumi, Minister of State for Government Development and the Future
- Her Excellency Shamma bint Suhail Faris Al Mazrui, Minister of State for Youth
- His Excellency Omar Bin Sultan Al Olama, Minister of State for Artificial Intelligence, Digital Economy and Remote Work Applications
- His Excellency Ahmed bin Ali Al Sayegh, Minister Of State
- His Excellency Khalifa bin Shaheen Al Marar, Minister Of State
- His Excellency Hamad bin Mubarak Al Shamsi, Minister of State
For further details: https://uaecabinet.ae/en
Federal National Council (FNC)
The Federal National Council is the fourth federal authority in terms of order in the hierarchy of the five federal authorities prescribed in the constitution, namely: the Supreme Council of the Federation, Federation President and Vice President, Federation Cabinet, the Federal National Council and the Federal Judiciary Constitution.
The Federal National Council’s first session was opened on 2 December 1972. The FNC contributes to sustainable development and builds relations among federal authorities through its participation in discussing and adopting legislation as well as enhancing the effectiveness of various executive institutions and expanding political participation.
The FNC comprises of 40 members elected from the member emirates: eight from Abu Dhabi and eight from Dubai; six from Sharjah and six from Ra's al-Khaimah and four from Ajman, four from Umm al-Qaiwain and four from Fujairah. Members are elected to serve four-year terms.
For further details: https://www.almajles.gov.ae/
The UAE adopts a balanced and moderated foreign policy that is strongly based on a commitment to the UN Charter and a respect for international conventions and laws that regard regional peace, stability and security with all countries of the world. Moreover, through its foreign policy, the UAE is committed to establishing strong relations with all countries of the world on the basis of mutual respect and non-interference in the internal affairs of others. It also seeks to resolve international disputes through dialogue and peaceful means based on the principles of fairness and justice with an objective to promote stability and international peace.
For further details: https://www.mofa.gov.ae/en/
Each emirate has its own local government consisting of departments and local institutions. The UAE’s Constitution defines the relationship between federal and local governments and allows some flexibility in the distribution of authority between them in line with the vision of the country's leadership.